Senior Cost Accountant Apply Now
Who is American Canning?
American Canning is a team of energetic individuals with a shared passion for the craft beverage industry. We are based in Austin, TX but take pride in providing aluminum can packaging solutions to manufacturers worldwide through our mobile canning services, canning machine equipment, packaging supply distribution efforts, and unparalleled customer service. In 2022, we are looking forward to adding can manufacturing to our ecosystem.
What is the job?
Reporting to the CFO, the Senior Cost Accountant will be responsible for developing fully loaded Cost of Goods for American Canning’s Machine assembly, Can Manufacturing, Can Sleeving, Warehousing, and Product Distribution operations.
A successful candidate will be…
A Costing SME – You have a breadth of experience, (e.g. different costing methodologies, across different industries / operations), you can leverage to effectively partner with business leads in developing fully loaded COGs appropriate for the business unit)
An Effective Communicator – You know that everyone has different backgrounds and experiences when it comes to cost accounting, and you are comfortable meeting people where they are. You respond quickly to the needs of an audience and project credibility at all levels.
Skillfully Able to Apply Expertise and Technology – You know exactly when to apply technical expertise to achieve work objectives. You are comfortable using the latest software, and are at home in an ERP.
Highly Organized and Great at Planning the Unforeseen – In a dynamic work environment with many moving parts, you’re at ease prioritizing your responsibilities and maintaining deadlines. You consider possible changing circumstances whenever possible, looking at all variables.
A Team Player – You’re a collaborative team player who shows respect for the views and contributions of others while building team spirit across the company.
What will you do?
- Provide financial analysis of manufacturing processes to drive key performance
- Work with departments to determine the appropriate data / KPIs to measure and guide in operations management and financial decision making.
- Analyze cost variances, determine root causes, and prepare recommendations and alternatives for improvements
- Cost accounting Subject Matter Expert with respect to ERP and other operational systems (e.g. Inventory / Warehouse & Transportation Management, Materials Requirement Planning).
- Input into business processes behind COGs for Income Statement segmentation, Inventory valuation and variance analysis
- Responsible for product costing for all new and existing products.
- Assist with Bill of Materials, Work Orders (and Routings if necessary) creation /maintenance
- Prepare monthly managerial reports in NetSuite / excel for review with functional heads. Research monthly activity as needed
- Participate in month-end accounting close, such as journal entries, including labor, overheads, depreciation, other SG&A expenses, intercompany transactions, and intercompany eliminations
- Responsible for preparation of yearly budgets for the manufacturing facility
- Audit daily production reports
- Provide day-to-day business decision support to operations and general managers on Cost Accounting topics
- Trouble shoot accounting systems to correct problems
- Ad hoc assignments that improve financial and operational processes
What do we expect?
- Comfortable in creating processes versus just maintaining them.
- Excited to teach/train coworkers and management in cost accounting concepts, application, analysis and interpretation. This role is new to us. You will be the subject matter expert and break down concepts and terms to laymen.
What is required?
- 10+ years’ experience in a Cost Accounting role
- Experience working in a manufacturing and assembly environments preferred
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k + Matching)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (Vacation and Sick)
- Paid Public Holidays
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
- Company supported continued education
- Fun company get-togethers and department outings
- Monthly cookouts at the office